What's the Word? (and how do you spell it?)

I have this DARLING boy in my class named Eddie.  He is just the sweetest.  It is nothing for him to give me a big hug and proclaim, "I 'lub' you!"  Melts my heart every time!

Eddie moved to the US from Mexico just last year.  It is hard to believe that he is the same boy I heard crying in kindergarten EVERY day last year.  Who could blame him?  I can't imagine being 5 years old and put into a situation where nobody spoke the same language as me.  

While he is learning some English, we are really trying to work on building up his English vocabulary.  
So, I created this picture word book.  


Whenever he has a few minutes, he will take the book and find a friend and they will quiz him on the words.  He has set a goal for himself to learn all of the words by the end of the year!  That's a LOT of words!

That was the main use of this book.  However, the other day, one of my students wanted to spell the word "tiger".  I saw the lightbulb pop on as this student realized that "tiger" was one of the words in Eddie's book.  
They grabbed it and quickly copied down the correct spelling.  GENIUS!

Here are a couple of examples of what the pages look like:


A big, thank you to Eddie for the inspiration!

So, I am sharing this FREEBIE with you.  
It is not the entire book, but it is definitely enough to get you started!

You can find the FREEBIE right here!
I'd love to know what you think!

 Also, be sure to hop on over to Manic Monday at Classroom Freebies today and EVERY Monday and collect some AMAZING FREEBIES!!
Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

6 comments

  1. Thanks for the freebie! I found you on Classroom Freebies Maniac Monday! I am your newest follower. I would love for you to stop by and check out my blog when you get a chance! Thanks again for the Word Book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog design! Isn't Christi the greatest...she designed my blog's new look too. Your freebie is great. It will be so useful with my ELL student. I found your blog through Classroom Freebies. Isn't visiting and exploring other blogs so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great freebie, I "lub" it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great idea! I wish I would have had that when I taught 2nd grade, I had a little girl who could have really benefitted.

    I found you through Manic Monday.
    Deniece

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, Yes, Christi is FAB-U-LOUS!
    AMC, that made me chuckle.
    Thank you to all who popped over from Manic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I posted a link at my Facebook Group: ESL/EFL Preschool Teachers. very nice.
    That´s why it is important that children get good quality English Classes in their country.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top