Pass the Torch Linky Party


Get Ready for Bloggy Olympics!!!

Photobucket Photobucket

Join The 3AM Teacher, the Reading Olympians, and over 80 SUPREME education bloggers as we take you through a tour of the Reading Olympians Root Study Program!!


So a friend of mine told me about this great program that is hot off the press called The Reading Olympians.  I love working with words and couldn't wait to get my hands on it.  It also came just in time to use as a review for my students on suffixes and prefixes.  We had spent a couple of weeks working with affixes and seized this opportunity to see if they had remembered what they learned.

I used the Jr. Nike section of this program with my top group in my first grade class.  

Sadly, though, one of my students who earns time to play an educational game on my phone each week must have erased most of my pictures.  :-(  I cannot tell you how disappointed I am.  But I will post the couple that I do have. 

First, we reviewed what we had learned when we studied affixes earlier in the year.  They amazed me with what they had really soaked up.  

Then I introduced the raps that are included in this unit.  Their favorite was the one for "cent".  In fact, I had a parent ask me about it on the playground this morning!  He was amazed what they had learned!  ...and let me tell you, you haven't lived until you've seen first graders rap!  HA!

I used the fill in the blank activity to see if they were catching on to what we had been rapping about and they all did perfect!  I was so proud of them!








Throughout the week, the students worked on their Jr. Nike Journals where they would record their definition for the prefix, create a illustration to help them remember the definition (LOVED this part), and create a list of words that used the prefix in a word.  (This part was a little bit hard for them, just because their vocabulary isn't quite that big yet.)  They were great at helping each other and everyone managed to get at least 2 or 3 words down.  We even put their computer skills to work and found some words on the internet.  (Their idea, which I thought was pretty resourceful!)

Needless to say, the all aced the post test.  

I have to say how much I love the graphics in this unit.  I have always been interested in Greek mythology and found these graphics very eye catching.  Here is just a small example.  (This is one of the pages that I used for reviewing what affixes are.)

  
I will definitely have use for this as I teach the accelerated second grade class next year.  I think they will definitely love it and gain a lot from it. 


 Thank you so much for stopping by!

Discover the program IN ACTION in more K-6th grade classrooms as you Pass the Torch!! Get ideas, discover the progression of the program, and enter the Raffle for a chance to win ONE of the three prizes listed below!!

First Place Winner : Gold Medal

  Prizes: Complete Reading Olympians Program
            $50.00 Amazon Gift Card
            50% off Discount Code for a 1-Day shopping spree at The 3AM Teacher's Etsy store!

Second Place Winner: Silver Medal

   Prizes: $25.00 Amazon Gift Card
              40% off Discount Code for a 1-Day shopping spree at The 3AM Teacher's Etsy store!

Third Place Winner: Bronze Medal

    Prizes: 30% off Discount Code for a 1-Day shopping spree at The 3AM Teacher's Etsy store!


Pass the Torch!!!
Click the image below to visit the next blog


Kindergarten:



Grade 1 & 2






Grade 3 & 4






Grade 5 & 6


    a Rafflecopter giveaway

6 comments

  1. Just came upon your blog today when I was visiting some of the Reading Olympics links on Collaboration Cuties! I have become a follower and will stop back soon... This program is something I would like to take a closer look at for second grade. :0)

    Thanks for sharing--
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers
    hootsnhollers@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw your part about the mishap with the pictures on your phone. If you have an iPhone (note sure if you do....) but if you do, on the new ios system, you can lock the app, so students can't leave the app you gave them permission to use. I can't remember how to do it, but if you Google it, you'll find articles about how to use this feature.

    We are ALL Special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my!!! I didn't know that!!! Going to check that right out!! You are a LIFESAVER! Thank you!!!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Cyndie,
    Just an FYI that your torch is not linked to the next blog.
    Teresa
    Confessions of a Teaching Junkie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Still trying to find out who I am supposed to be linked to.

      Delete

Back to Top