Start a KINDNESS Revolution!

Hi there!  Welcome to this stop on the 


Be Kind!
Two simple words that can change someone's world.

So why not start a Kindness Revolution at your school?

This week we have been partaking in The Great Kindness Challenge sponsored by The Josh Stevens Foundation.  We are "Be Kind!" school, but this week we are really revving it up.  

Here are some simple things that we have done this week, that you might like to do with your kiddos or even within your whole school!  (How cool would that be!)

One of my teachers had this fantastic idea to try to get our school in the Guinness Book of World Records for the largest collage of hand cutouts.  How cool is that!??!?!  I'll let you know if we make it!


 On Tuesday, we gave a librarians a HEART ATTACK!  OK...not a real one.  Each child wrote a letter to then on paper hearts.  When we went to the library that day, they shouted, "We want to give you a HEART ATTACK!" and unfolded their hearts.  These ladies are amazing and deserve every heart and sweet word.  They are constantly pulling books for our research reports, chapter book read alouds, and everything else our hearts desire.

On Wednesday, we made "hugs" for our area assisted living facility.  The kiddos loved doing this and we really hope it brightens the residents' day!

On Thursday, we created a chain of kindness.  Each child wrote 3 things on 3 different strips that someone had done to show them kindness.  We linked them all together to create a kindness chain.  We will continue adding to it throughout the year.

During the week, we have been collecting pieces of fruit.  Each child was asked to bring one piece of fruit from home to add to the basket (then I spruced it up just a little with some additional fruit).  We presented it to the office staff, custodian, health office and lunch crew in appreciation of all that they had done to make our year so "fruitful".  The kiddos colored little cards and wrote a little note on the back of each one.

I also went around school taking pictures of some other kindness displays.  My friend Leah has a Be Kind Vine going around her room where students can add leaves about others they have seen committing acts of kindess.  This week they were given a yellow leaf with another classmate's name on them.  During the week they were to catch that child in an act of kindness and add it to the vine.
On the right, is my friend Michelle's Kindness Chart.  Look at all those acts of kindness!  Children add to it throughout the year.  Hmmmm....wonder if they can make it to 500 by the end of the year!?!?!

We also have our fabulous Be Kind shirts to spread the word.  We got to wear these every day this week!  LOVE IT!  (Of course, that meant I took advantage of it and wore jeans every day!)
Pictured are:  My wonderful teammate, Carina; our amazing art teacher, Lisa; one of our terrific special ed teachers, Sandy; my podmate and fantastic friend, Allie; our fabulous office manager, Stacy; my incredible principal, Pauline; and our super clerk, Beth!

So, what do you think?  Are you inspired to start a Kindness Revolution at your school?  I hope you do...or at least try some of these or other ideas.

(Graphics and Fonts in this post by:  Just So Scrappy Too, Tout Aimee, KG Fonts, Hello Fonts, KB Fonts)

Now hop on over to Laura's Fantastic Blog at Peace, Love, & First Grade for some more fabulous ideas!



Peace, Love, & First Grade


10 comments

  1. Cyndie, Such sweet ideas to model and promote kindness! I am definitely going to add a few of your ideas to my month! Thanks for sharing:)

    Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Thanks so much for sharing! I got some great ideas!
    Hilary
    Second Grade is Out of This World!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of these ideas and pinned the post to my anti-bullying board. I am on our anti-bullying committee and I am always looking for new ideas. These will go great with our Pink T-shirt day and Kindness theme in February. Thanks for sharing - amazing post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these ideas to promote kindness in the classroom. Can't wait to make that kindness vine in our classroom. The kids will love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are studying American Heroes right now, and at the end of the unit, I had planned to have the kids plan some type of service project to let them see themselves as heroes too. I LOVE these ideas, and will be weaving them into our classroom. Thanks so much.

    Nicole
    Mrs. Rios Teaches Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cyndie - thank you for this beautiful post! I've pinned to our KINDNESS collaborative. I can't wait to give the linked together by kindness activity a try.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such wonderful ideas. I love it!

    -Lidia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live my life by the Golden Rule. Thanks for sharing some fun ideas to help instill this in my students.
    Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter
    luvyorkies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing such wonderful ideas! I think my kiddos would love trying out some of these ideas.
    Wendy

    One Happy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your school must be an amazing place! Love all of these ideas! Thank you for sharing them, I hope I can implement a few this year!

    Katie :)
    KTP: Keep Teaching and Planning!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top