Stylin' It Up for Read Across America

WARNING:  Pinterest can change your life!  OK, well, not maybe, but it can inspire ideas that you just can shake.  Read at your own risk!  OK, just kidding, but I did become just a little bit obsessed this week.

Welcome to the 
Along with Read Across America, our state celebrates Nevada Reading Week.  Our amazing librarians and their committee have many fun activities planned during the week.  My favorite?  Book Character Dress Up Day!

In the past I have been Farmer Brown and my kiddos have been the farm animals from Click, Clack, Moo!  I have also been Max and my kiddos have been the Wild Things (that was so appropriate for that group that year - LOL!)

I presented several different ideas this year to my sweet second graders and they were all shot down...until...I mentioned that they could be 
THINGS!

So, if you'd like to see how I turned my fabulous students into some of my favorite things, keep on reading!

Fortunately, all of this cool tulle ribbon was on sale at Michael's for 40% off.  Each spool was less than $2!  (and I also used my teacher discount!)
 
We used ribbon for the waistband of their tutus and the girls measured, then cut and patterned.  The boys were fantastic with helping the girls, too.

Then we had to decide how to "decorate" the boys.  My son suggested suspenders and we made those out of ribbon.  The boys in my class came up with mustaches and bow ties.  We made the bow ties out of sparkly ribbon just to give them a little zing.  All of the materials we bought were on sale!

I sent a note home asking parents to send their children in red shirts, if they had them, and as you can see, they did!  For the Thing circles, we just printed them out on cardstock and the kids cut them out.  The kiddos had to measure and cut their own "hair", too!

Here they are after making the appearance at morning opening.  Can you tell how windy it was?  Their "hair" flapping around in the wind made the funniest noise!

 I love these "Things"!

As for my costume, I wore black leggings and a black shirt and shoes.  My son helped me make my tutu.  We did black around the sides and back and white sparkle tulle in the front.  I rounded the corners of a piece of sparkly felt and attached it to my shirt with safety pins.  A red ribbon is attached to the top of my shirt.

I asked my parents to send in a couple of dollars to help defer the cost a little and with all of their generous donations, I ended up spending less than $20, including my own costume (which I paid for, of course).  Not a bad price to outfit 19 things and 1 Cat in the Hat.

Now to figure out how on earth we're going to top this next year!
(If you have any ideas, please feel free to leave me a comment!)

So...are you ready for another Bright Idea?  Hop on over and visit the amazing Amy over at

theresourcefulroom

Thank you for stopping by!

7 comments

  1. Absolutely adorable!!!!!!!!!!
    Hugs - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, Cyndie! Your students will have happy memories of Reading Week forever!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute...love the pic of your class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My Goodness...they look Amazing!!! I LOVE the tutus!

    Terri Izatt
    KinderKapers

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous idea!! I love it and will have to try and remember this for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are so adorable! What cute ideas!
    Wendy
    One Happy Teacher

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top