Alternative Classroom Seating

Hey, everyone, if you've just hopped over here from Elementary Chalkboard, I'm so glad you're here. If you just stumbled on this post, you can read my alternative seating post by clicking here.

We have alternative seating in our classroom and this post is about an alternative seating post that is not only cheap and easy to make, it's also super functional.

Look how cute these are!


A few years ago, these buckets were donated to our classroom as part of an Eagle Scout project. They were the large, white paint buckets that can be purchased at your hardware store. They had green, vinyl cushions bolted on the top (but since we've just hot glued them).

This past summer, but wonderful son sprayed them with black chalk paint. Then I used leftover fabric from our crate seats to cover the padding on top.

BUT WAIT!

These are also useful. They are full off supplies that you may need if you are ever in a (I hope it never ever happens to any of us) lock down situation.

Inside you will find toilet paper, a cheap shower curtain, a gallon of water, plastic cups, snacks, phone numbers and emergency contact information for my students, as well as  fun activities (to pass the time) all copied and ready to go.

All that needs to be done is remove the supplies and the buckets can be used for a toilet if you and your students are locked in your classroom for any amount of time. The shower curtain can be attached or held up for privacy. I think everything else is pretty self explanatory.

So, there you go...cute, cheap, easy to create, and useful!

4 comments

  1. Hi I have been wanting to try alternative seating for a while. With class numbers growing, there is less and less room. I was thinking of starting by just letting my kids work where they want as my room is. I have small tables, crate seats and clip boards galore. What would you suggest next?
    Great post!

    Just a Primary Girl


    http://justaprimarygirl.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you have students store their stuff that would normally be in their desk? I so want to do alternative seating, but need to work out all the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika,
      There are 6 cubbies on each table where my students can store their belongings. I also have 2 crates for the students that don't have a cubby. It's not ideal, but it works for now. If you come across a great idea, I'd love to hear about it!

      Delete

Back to Top